Who doesn’t love a cup of joe in the morning? Well, India didn’t for a long time. But now, coffee is one of the fastest growing categories of consumed beverages in India.
It is the most common beverage in the world. Along with being amazing in taste, it also carries a lot of benefits with it. It is a great way for socializing too.
If you do not want to go through the whole article, we give you our best picks:
Best Coffee in India
Different types of Coffee:
There are basically two types of coffees consumed worldwide – Arabica and Robusta. They grow from two different coffee species: Coffeee Arabica and Coffee Robusta respectively.
1. Arabica Coffee:
Arabica coffees have a delicate flavour and balanced aroma. It is associated with sweet taste. The caffeine content is about half of Robusta coffees. They are usually grown in altitudes of 600 to 2000 metres in cool, moisture-rich and subtropical weather conditions.
2. Robusta Coffee:
They have twice the amount of caffeine as Arabica coffees. They have a very strong taste with a grainy essence with a aftertaste similar to peanuts.
Although Arabica coffees are more preferred internationally, high quality Robustas are also popular.
Coffee Varieties by Region in India:
- Anamalais (Tamil Nadu)
- Araku Valley (Andhra Pradesh)
- Bababudangiris (Karnataka)
- Brahmaputra Region
- Chikmagalur (Karnataka)
- Coorg (Karnataka)
- Manjarabad (Karnataka)
- Nilgiris (Tamil Nadu)
- Pulneys (Tamil Nadu)
- Sheveroys (Tamil Nadu)
- Travancore (Kerala)
- Wayanaad (Kerala)
Benefits of Drinking Coffee:
There are a number of benefits of coffee corroborated by studies. We list some of them here:
- Coffee can improve your energy levels
- It can help you burn fat
- May lower risk of Type 2 diabetes
- May protect you from Alzheimer’s and Parkinsons disease
- Coffee can help fight depression and make you happier
- May lower certain types of cancer
- May help you live longer
Different Types of Coffee Drinks:
There are umpteen types of coffees. From Starbucks to CCD, you can get a lot of varieties. The most popular ones that you can make at home are:
It is basically one ounce of highly concentrated coffee without milk or water. It originated in Italy and is one of the most popular drinks in the world.
Thought to have originated in World War 2, it is basically water added to espresso. The water dilutes the espresso while maintaining the taste of caffeine.
It is a mixture of an espresso and foamed milk. Stronger than a latte but not more than an espresso or an americano. It can have a lot of variations.
It is the milkiest of all coffee drinks and more bland than a cappuccino. The cappuccino is stronger as it contains less milk than the latte. Coffee is mixed with steam milk. This is the most popular coffee drink in the world.
It is a double espresso shot and will definitely awaken your senses.
We bring you the list of the best coffee available in India:
1. Continental Coffee Speciale Instant Coffee The Best Coffee in India
- Fresh and rich in taste and real coffee satisfaction
A relatively new entrant, the Continental Speciale Instant Coffee is our top recommended coffee powder in India. It is made from a blend Arabica and Robusta beans so you get the best of both worlds.
It has an attractive Buy 1 Get 1 free offer on Amazon where you get two coffee packs for the price of one.
The taste is rich and subtle and we prefer it to the market leader Nescafe classic. Currently in terms of both value and taste, it is far ahead of any other coffee powder in India.
It is stronger than Nescafe classic yet better tasting and aromatic.
This coffee is made by CCL which is one of the largest coffee exporters in India exporting to around 100 countries in the world and it has started to foray in the instant coffee powder market.
2. Nescafé Classic Coffee
- Start your day right with the first sip of this classic that awakens your senses to new opportunities
- Premium frothy instant coffee right at home; a must try for all coffee-lovers. Flavor: Plain
- Country of Origin: India
- Flavourful and 100% pure coffee that is perfect for any time of the day
- Specially designed NESCAFÉ glass jar keeps your coffee tasting delicious until the last drop
Whenever you think of coffee in India, an image of Nescafe classic coffee powder comes to mind. It is one of the oldest and most successful coffee brands in the world.
It has become a habit for most people to an extent that any other coffee does not seem like coffee for them.
With that aside, the coffee is made from Robusta beans sourced from South India. It tastes kind of sweet but the overall feeling you get is bland. Not bad coffee by any means but we think the market has some new offerings which cater to a different palette.
3. Levista Premium Instant Coffee
- A fine blend of 80% Coffee and 20% Chicory, prepard from the highest quality of Arabica and Robusta beans and blended with high quality chicory. Savour a refreshingly unique coffee experience.
- Levista offers an array of unique blends that are crafted to delight coffee lovers. Its strong, yet not overpowering taste allows you to enjoy the perfect cup.
- COFFEE FROM THE COFFEE CAPITAL: Levista is produced from the finest hand picked beans from the pristine hills of Coorg, the coffee capital of India.
Levista is an Indian coffee brand sourced from the Coorg region. This premium instant coffee is a blend of 20% chicory and 80% coffee. Therefore, you’ll get a bitter taste compared to our other options.
It is not a premium atste by any means but provides good value for the price especially for people who find Nescafe too sweet.
It is priced lower than other brands, so worth a shot to give it a try.
4. Nescafe Gold
- Premium imported soluble coffee powder for a distinctive coffee experience
- Made with choicest robusta and arabica beans for a smooth taste
- Indulge your senses in a truly distinctive premium coffee blend with nescafe gold
- Specially designed glass jar keeps your nescafe gold delightfully tasty to the last drop
- Imported from south korea
Nescafe’s premium coffee powder, Nescafe Gold, is imported from South Korea. It is made from Arabica and Robusta beans with grounding done over 10 times.
It is a smoother taste than Nescafe classic though it is also more expensive. It is comparable to Continental Speciale but since the Continental coffee has a special sale of one-plus-one, it offers much better value.
Both are great coffees and will have their own fan followings and you will not be disappointed.
5. Continental Xtra Instant Coffee
- Instant 70% Coffee - 30% Chicory Mixture
- Carefully chosen Coffee Beans blended with roasted Chicory to provide a strong cup of rich tasting
- Its chunky granules lock the aroma and ﬂavour giving a strong & divine taste to the coﬀee
- This is the strongest cup of instant coﬀee you’ll ever taste
- Directions: Add Continental Xtra Instant Coﬀee Granules & sugar to taste in a cup of hot water/ milk, stir well and enjoy
Continental’s stronger blend of instant coffee contains a mixture of 70% coffee and 30% chicory.
It tastes strong and has a good aroma to it. Although some people might be put off with the bitter taste, this is great for people who like strong coffees.
Not premium by any means but still provides good value. Continental’s 1+1 offer is also available for this flavour and people should make use of it till it lasts.
This is excellent value among strong coffees and we highly recommend it.
6. Lavazza Caffe Espresso
- Blend made from 100 % specially selected Arabica coffees from south America & Africa
- Medium roasted coffee with the notes of fruits & flowers
- Delicate intensity with aromatic taste
- Suitable for all coffee makers
- Country of Origin: Italy
Lavazza is a very popular brand of instant coffee powders in the world. Originated in Italy, it has a range of flavours and types of coffees.
Lavazza Caffe Espresso is a blend made from 100% Arabica beans sourced from South America and Africa. It is medium roasted with notes of fruits and flowers.
6. Continental Coffee Black Edition Freeze Dried Pure Instant Coffee Powder
- 100% Pure Freeze Dried Coffee
- Best had Black
- Freeze-Drying process preserves the aroma and flavor
- Made from 100% Arabica Coffee Beans
The third Continental Coffee on the list and it’s freeze dried coffee is one of the best coffees in the premium range. Sourced from 100% Arabica beans, this has a very smoky aroma with a tinge of molasses.
Priced at around Rs. 400 for a 100 gram bottle, it is not cheap by any means but it does provide great taste. You won’t find this sort of taste from the normal instant coffee powders.
Free dried coffees , although more expensive, provide better quality. This leaves a distinct coffee aftertaste and once some people try freeze dried, they cannot go back to normal coffee.
Try it and find out for yourself.
7. Davidoff Café Rich Aroma, Fine Aroma and Espresso 57 Instant Coffee
- Choicest Arabica beans from African, Latin American and pacific coffees combined
- 3 jars 100 each
- An intense, elegant, rich and truly luxurious espresso
A wild card into the instant coffee powder market, the Davidoff coffees are an imported coffee option. With beans sourced from outside India, this offers a different coffee than anything you have tried in India.
The coffee powder dissolves in hot water or milk and is very smooth. You will definitely notice a difference between this and other Indian coffees.
Last update on 2021-09-04